Saturday 26 January 2013

sexy cardboard?

Wikipedia tells us that
Corrugated (also called pleated) paper was patented in England in 1856, and used as a liner for tall hats, but corrugated boxboard was not patented and used as a shipping material until December 20, 1871. The patent was issued to Albert Jones of New York City .............read about it here

Some of my corrugated cardboard was damaged, exposing the corrugations, the internal skeleton.  I love this stuff, perhaps it is my architect's eye that enjoys the economy of structure and the great strength for so little weight. This was particularly nice stuff since it was composed of two layers of ridged paper of different pitch and running in different directions with an additional membrane separating them. A huge improvement in strength/lightness.

I wanted to cut into it, to expose it's core.......


what I found delighted me and I was busy for hours




so, with Stanley knife, PVA glues, acrylic gel and paint I  made lots of abstract reliefs which I will show you tomorrow

I think these two people,  from yesterday, were happy too?




charcoal and acrylic paint on card




No comments:

Post a Comment